SIGHT VERSUS VISION
Often times, these two words are used synonymously, however, they have different meanings. Sight is the ability of the eyes to see a clear image of an object in view. While, vision on the other hand, is the ability to make a reasonable interpretation of what the eyes see. Sight is physical and a function of the eyes as a sense organ. Vision is metaphysical and a function of the mind and brain working to create an imagination of the image being formed from what the eyes see.
Sight is a function of quantity, while vision is a function of quality.
This seems a bit tricky, but here is an example to simplify it. When your eye doctor wants to determine 'how much' you see, you will be asked to read a chart usually placed 6 meters for distance measurement and 40 centimeters for near measurement. A normal sight is 6/6 or 20/20. This test is what will give your doctor an idea whether you are short sighted, long sighted, or have presbyopia or astigmatism. The quality of your vision may be determined by how you perceive and can differentiate colour and contrasts of the texts presented to you, how close or far an object appears to you and other things that help you appreciate images that you see better. Vision is not only dependent on your sight. You may have a 6/6 or 20/20 sight but still have a poor vision in terms of depth perception, colour, good binocularity, etc.
Factors That Affect Sight
Here are some conditions that determines how much and how clear we see:
- Myopia or short sightedness
- Hyperopia or long sightedness
Factors That Affect Vision
Here are some conditions that may affect the quality of image we see, aside sight:
- Contrast sensitivity
- Colour vision
- Amblyopia or lazy eyes
- Accommodative problems
- Cognitive disorders.
Importance of Sight and Vision
- Good sight and vision are important to enjoy and appreciate life better.
- Good sight will make you see a house. A good vision will tell you all the qualities it possesses. How tall is the house, how close are you to the house, what colour is it painted, is it a duplex or a bungalow, etc.
- Having both helps to keep us safe. For instance, we get to judge how close an obstacle is and avoid it when driving or walking.
- A 6/6 or 20/20 sight and poor binocularity (which is how well both eyes works together and also a function of a good vision, can result in headaches and discomforts even when the eyes sees clearly. But when binocularity is good and quality of vision is enhanced, one can enjoy a clear view with no discomfort.
Visit us today and let our seasoned optometrists examine your eyes and determine how great your vision and as well your sight are.