DIGITAL EYE STRAIN AND DANGERS OF SCREEN TIME
In this present time and age, we use digital devices for both social and professional purposes, virtually everything is done online. Prolonged exposure of the eyes to the screens of these devices is almost unavoidable. This is where Digital Eye Strain also known as Computer Vision Syndrome comes in, It is the visual problems that results from prolonged use of digital devices.
Digital Eye Strain doesn’t lead to vision loss and isn’t a major vision threatening condition but the overall discomfort that comes with it can affect one’s performance at work or in school.
WHY DO WE GET EYE STRAINS FROM PROLONGED SCREEN TIME?
Computer screens, tablets, phones emit a high-energy visible light called BLUE LIGHT. Excessive exposure to this blue light may cause some problems in light adaptability and focusing on the long run which in turn result in difficult such as glare, fatigue, asthenopia, et cetera.
Experts have advised that adults should spend not more than two hours a day on screen time outside of work. Spending over 7 hours uninterrupted and without adequate protection on the screen can lead to digital eye strain.
Signs and Symptoms
- Neck, Shoulder, and back pain
- Red eyes
- Eye strain
- Muscle fatigue
- Overall eye discomfort
- When you are always trying to refocus.
- Blurry vision when using a computer.
- Feeling of dryness in the eyes.
- Over Exposure to screens
- Reduced blinking
- Refractive error
- Poor room/office illumination.
- Bad sitting posture
HOW TO PREVENT OR MANAGE DIGITAL EYE STRAIN
- A Comprehensive eye test to correct refractive error if there is any.
- Adjusting your sitting position at work to maintain a proper posture.
- The 20-20-20 rule : For every 20minutes, focus on an object 20feet away for 20seconds
- Adjust the working space illumination to reduce glare from the screen.
- Make sure to blink very often.
- Wearing protective eye glasses such as Anti-reflective and anti-blue glasses to reduce the exposure of such screen Ray’s into the eyes.
FOR MORE EXPERT ADVICE AND RECOMMENDATION ON DIGITAL EYE STRAINS, PLEASE CALL TO SPEAK WITH OUR EXPERIENCED OPTOMETRISTS.